Thursday 3 October 2013

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


A while back I was doing a mass book order from The Book Depository and asked for suggestions from a few fellow book-lovers on Twitter as to what might my geeky brain might find worth reading. Kirsty and Megan both suggested Cinder, which they described as "Cinderella, except it's set in the future and she is a cyborg". Well, being the massive sic-fi geek that I am, and being an avid lover of all things princess, I just had to check this book out for myself, and it turns out it's bloody brilliant!

One of the most important things to me when I am reading a book is that the setting and characters are easy to picture. When I'm reading I expect he words on the pages to become a moving image in my head, and this book paints the scene and the characters brilliantly on my brain's canvas without over-describing anything. The storyline is great, albeit a little predictable due to the whole based on a fairytale thing, and the characters are so endearing that a few times throughout the book they actually made me weep!

Cinder is a character whom I strongly admire and relate to, and Prince Kai will charm you off your feet! The whole book is written in such a simple, emotive way that it really allows the reader to connect, and I knocked it over in about a day and a half, I was so immersed in the storyline.

Now, this book is actually the first in a series of which only the first two books are out, so if you ant to read it, be sure that you can take the heartbreak that comes with finishing a book on a cliff-hanging note and having to wait months on end to see what happens next. It's a tough life when you are so connected to the characters that they could be your best friend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment